Sunday, March 10, 2013

iBoy Final Blog


I just finished reading IBoy, by Kevin Brooks. In my previous post, I had said that the plot was 'a little bit cheesy' and unbelievable. But surprisingly, I now feel I was wrong. This book, however far-fetched the plot may sound, is a really great, action-packed read, that left me on the edge of my seat.
After Thomas finds out the names of the people who raped his friend, Lucy, he uses his powers to track them down. Thomas makes the choice of becoming a vigilante, using his new powers of connectivity and electricity to get revenge on all of her attackers. He takes down gangs and drug dealers, stops murderers, and acts as a police informant, tricking Lucy's attackers and calling the cops on them for what he made them do.
Brooks takes the forms of communication we all use in our digital world, like calling, texting, and searching the web on our iPhones, and he gives them a science fiction theme. IBoy uses his powers to text, call, go on Facebook, and even hack into computer systems, police radios, and government databases.  I believe Kevin Brooks' use of our technology is clever because it is familiar and unbelievable at the same time. and while reading this book, knowing that this kid got super powers from an iPhone falling on his head, I was totally believing it. He uses this premise successfully.
iBoy is an exciting, action packed book that I would recommend to all. The themes are compelling and thrilling, and makes up a great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment