I am reading Rotten, by Michael Northrop. It is about a boy named JD who comes back home after being away for the summer, to find that his mom has bought a new dog for him. It's a Rottweiler whom JD names JR, after Johnny Rotten, of the Sex Pistols. JD has to learn to gain the dog's trust because it seems to have had an abusive past. Just as JR's past is a mystery, so it JD's. We are not told why he has been away, and his past holds some mysterious elements not yet explained to the reader. The two get closer, but a terrible incident occurs. One of JD's friends, a boy named Mars, gets bit by JR, after trying to pet him. JR is already unsure of Mars's character, and whether he is a true friend. When Mars gets bitten, it is after JD has asked him to wait to meet the dog until JD can be there. Mars doesn't listen. Since that is where I am in the book, I will make predictions of what I think will happen next.
After JR bites Mars, JD gets a call from his mom. She tells him that Mars' says that his condition might be worse than they thought, and Mars has to go to the hospital. She also tells JD that Mars' Mom doesn't really have insurance, and will want to get help paying for Mars's stay at the hospital from JD's mom. This sounds fishy to JD, and adds to his distrust of his friend. I think that because of Mars' family's financial troubles, they will most likely tell people that JR is a menace to the neighborhood, and might even say he has rabies or should be put down.
The blurb on the jacket for this book says, "JD might have something much bigger to worry about: saving his dog." I think that if Mars' parents do complain about JR to Animal Control, they might take him away. JD will need to prove that JR is the victim here, not Mars.
There are many unanswered questions in the book so far: Where was JD all summer? What has he been through? Is he 'rotten' or good? Is JR 'rotten' as Mars and his parents believe? Or is his life worth saving. How will JD save his dog?
So far, Northrop's Rotten is very intriguing. I can't wait to figure out what happens next.
No comments:
Post a Comment