High Island
We were on High Island, the highest of the Thimble Islands, in Stony Creek Connecticut. "Highest house, highest island." I would say, to explain the lay of the land so to speak.
Walking down to our dock, the wooden steps hitting my bare feet, walking down two flights before coming to the first part of the dock, a 15 foot cement and stone rectangle, peaking out of the sparkling ocean water. Down more steps off the first doc, was the second dock, a wooden structure with cement poles supporting it. A wooden ladder brings you to the top of the ocean at low tide. Funny how different this place was from the bustling streets of New York Horns honking and sirens blaring, people chatting.
I was standing on that first rung of that same ladder about to jump off. I was so scared. LIttle did I know that two days from then, I would be laughing at myself, 'so pathetic,' I would say.
That first rung. "Do it," my dad said. My friend Sam watch from the wooden dock. I breathed heavily, getting my adrenaline up. feeling my blood rushing through my veins.
I took a step back and I jumped. sinking into the water. I floated back up, my life vest pulling me like a rope. I climbed back up the ladder to the second rung….and went back down again. I jumped.
Each time I had to get up the courage to go higher, I would get used to the one I had jumped on before. I had gotten up to the 2nd rung, then the third, the fourth, now all that was left was that cement dock and the wooden dock before I could go to the top.
I stepped up to that wooden dock, the sun peeking behind the other Islands across the water. I let my chest heave, "huh, huh, huh, huh.
Breathing in and out.
It was like those movies when you can hear the character's heart beat before they do something stupid.
Breathe.
Breathe.
Breathe...
I jumped off, the cool water rushing up on my head as I went down. My life vest rocketing me up with it's force. I bobbled up like a obey in the water. I swam up to that same ladder and climbed. Again, on the wooden dock, falling in and rocketing back. I took a break, enjoying the cool, salty breeze, and beautiful day, walking with Same, waving to the tour boats that went by. Same walked up to the top dock. He was already used to jumping on the high doc,.
While I had slowly made my way up, he was at the top, humping away as he pleased. He cupped off and climbed back up. I watched him jump a few more tries.
If he can do it without a problem, I should be able to. Plus, I already got to the wooden dock. "I'm gonna do it!' I yelled while he swam out of the way.
'Really?" he yelled back. "Okay, go ahead!"
I breathed in and out.
Breathe.
Breathe.
Breathe.
-Take a step back-
Breathe.
Breathe.
-shift your feet-
Breathe.
Breathe.
Run
and jump….
Splash! The noise resonated, even under water. I surfaced.
The water felt so good.
I really like your memoir, but the part that stood out most to me was when you said: "breathe. breathe. breath. -take a step back-" I loved the way you combined inner thoughts, sounds, and actions, in one short and precise sentence. So far I haven't seen anyone else do that.
ReplyDeleteI like the detail you put into it
ReplyDelete