I just started reading IBoy, by Kevin Brooks, a science fiction story about a boy named Tom Harvey. One day he is walking home from school, when suddenly, an unknown voice calls to him from a window above him. When he looks up, an iPhone is hurtling toward his head. It impales his skull, and he is hospitalized. That's not all! The bits of IPhone embedded in his brain give him super powers. Now, he can use his brain as a computer, searching for definitions of words, reading newspaper articles, and probably more talents I haven't gotten to yet.
This premise may sound a little bit cheesy or way over the top. It is, definitely. But besides all that, I think the author is trying to play with an idea that to us, may be a little quite familiar. Let's see if you can guess what it is.
On the same day that Tom's attacked by the IPhone, his friend and long-time crush, Lucy, is raped by a neighborhood gang and her brother, Ben, is beaten up. Whether the events between Lucy's family and Thomas are connected, I am not sure of. But, if I have to make a prediction, after reading the blurb and looking at the cover, I think that Tom might discover that he has the power to electrocute people.
But as I was saying about the 'familiar' thing…Thomas may take matters into his own, possibly electric hands, and try to get revenge on the people that hurt Lucy. If that happens, we will, indeed, be faced with that familiar premise—have you guessed it yet? Like the famous saying in Spider Man: "With great power, comes Great responsibility." Will Tom will use his powers for good or for evil, and will he be responsible with that power? It is yet to be determined.
I don't know what will happen, but I am looking forward to finding out. For some reason, I keep on reading this book. The premise is just too familiar, and too fun to not keep reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment