Sunday, February 17, 2013

Undead, by Kirsty McKay


 Undead, by Kirsty McKay

Undead, by Kirsty McKay, grabbed my eye. The cover features a girl in a cheerleader's uniform, holding an axe, dripping with blood. It promises a story about a zombie apocalypse. Upon reading it I was deeply disappointed.
This book is very different from all of the other zombie books I've read. It's not about the characters, themselves. There isn't any deep important feelings that drive the characters forward throughout the story. In The Walking Dead, another zombie series I have blogged about, Rick Grimes is driven by the need to find and protect his family and friends at all costs. In Undead, the characters are just trying to stay alive, and not become zombies. They don't have any important missions that you might see in the real world. In The Walking Dead, protecting your family and worrying about them are important themes.
After reading The Zombie Survival Guide, and The Walking Dead series, I can conclude that the zombies in Undead aren't like the ones I've come to know and love. From The Walking Dead, I know that you 'need to destroy the brain!" and "decapitation won't kill a zombie for good!" In Undead, no mention is made about how the zombies act, how the living have to kill them, or any of the other interesting tidbits about Zombie 'care.'
In my opinion, if you took out all the zombies in Undead, it would just be a boring, teenage, relationship drama that I would never have picked up for myself. Even with the zombie theme in Undead, it still lacks the intriguing aspects The Walking Dead series had, and the factual details that The Zombie Survival Guide taught me.
Undead disappointed me because of it's lack of character development, it's unexplained zombie phenomena, and it's lack of interesting ideas that would have helped the story move along.

1 comment:

  1. It's impressive that your opinions are strong and you include sophisticated terms and language. I suggest that you want to organize your post.

    ReplyDelete