Sunday, January 20, 2013

Rootless, by Chris Howard. Confusion



I have finished Rootless, by Chris Howard. In the beginning, Rootless, was intriguing in how much action there was, and exciting in it's assortment of characters. But those positive aspects didn't hold up as the book went along. I got extremely confused from the lack of explanation of certain aspects of the story. By adding more details, Howard could have helped the reader (me) understand the story better.
A detail I would've appreciated understanding was how the heck people were being cloned. In one moment in the book, (Spoiler Alert) Banyan meets his mom, whom he had thought was dead. He realizes that he had met her before, but she was someone else. She had cloned herself! He had met her clone. But it's not explained how she was cloned, and having met her clone didn't seem to add anything significant to the story. it was just an unexplained detail. How they clone people when they are in a post-apocalyptic world without very good technology wasn't explained at all, either.
Another aspect that could have been explained was when (Spoiler Alert) a character gets his legs ripped off, but is healed by the Government by fusing him with a synthetic tree part. He gets tree legs and can somehow walk around. Huh?
Finally, Banyan finds his dad, but his dad has been used with a tree to give life to other half human trees. At first Banyan is really mad about the Government fusing people with trees, because he thought it was like killing them. He is heart broken to see his dad.  At the end, Banyan suddenly loves the idea of killing people to build trees, without proper explanation. Also, he was completely happy to see his tree-dad slowly being poisoned so he would completely become a tree and help the government kill even more people.  Banyans change of heart was not explained whatsoever. which caused even more confusion while reading this book
I feel that the author threw in those details without explaining them to try to push the story ahead, not realizing that they made the book confusing for the reader.  In conclusion, I don't really recommend this book to other people because of how confused I was

1 comment: