Sunday, January 6, 2013



I'm in the middle of reading, The Zombie Survival Guide, by Max Brooks. It's considered a parody because it's spoofing the genre of survival guide literature, but the information and rules inside are treated seriously, and support the details in other zombie-themed books I've read and movies I've seen.
But why are zombies so popular?
Dan Birlew, a video game guide writer, says that the fascination is with surviving a zombie apocalypse. "Being a survivor, playing the odds, making your own rules" feels satisfying to people. And, "Things have been pretty rough for Americans the last ten years: hijackers are flying passengers into the sides of buildings; the economy has crashed not just once, but a few times; people who’ve worked extremely hard their entire lives are now out of jobs; everyone’s getting paid half or less of what they used to; people have invested their life savings into homes that are now more valuable as scrap. Perhaps swinging on a guy’s head with a cricket bat is starting to sound like a good way to blow off some steam." But we'd feel better if that person wasn't human. So zombies are the perfect subject.
The Zombie Survival Guide has everything you need to know about surviving a zombie apocalypse: Weapons, explosives, what a zombie feels, how to dispose of a zombie, how to defend your home, what equipment to have, what terrain type is best for survival, what types of buildings you should hide out in, and the list goes on.
I liked this book because of the survival aspect of it. I really like survival stories such as Hunger Games, The Walking Dead, and the Lost TV show.  Even though I know zombies aren't real, I like the idea of being an underdog, outnumbered and lonely, but by all odds, fighting to stay alive against the hordes of the living dead.
If you like zombies, this book will shock you with the amount of information it contains, and will entertain you with the idea of What if?…

No comments:

Post a Comment